Fall is the perfect time for soup. I recently attended a cooking class about at Schoolcraft College and made the most delicious roasted butternut squash soup.
Here is the recipe:
4 tsp. Garlic, minced
4 tsp. Ginger, minced
1 cup Celery, small dice
1 cup Leeks, white party only, medium dice
1 cup Granny smith apple, peeled, medium dice
4 oz. Olive oil
6 cups Butternut squash flesh, roasted
2 quarts Vegetable stock
1/2 cup White wine
2 tsp. Curry
pinch Cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 1/2 cups Heavy cream
Salt to taste (Sea salt is best)
1. Heat the oil and saute’ the onions, leeks, garlic, and ginger for 5 minutes or until they are translucent. Pince the curry powder. Stir frequently.
2. Add the squash and apples, white wine, and stock. Simmer until the vegetables are tender. (About 20 minutes)
3. Pure the soup with a hand blender until smoooth. Adjust the consistencey if needed.
4. Temper the cream or coconut milk and add to soup.
5. Season the soup to its full potential with salt, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, nutmeg, and sugar.
There are so many different ways to make butternut squash soup, and even a video taking you step by step through the process.