My son would eat pizza for every meal if I let him. So when the grocery store Trader Joe’s did a demo of a “Make Your Own Pizza” created with Naan bread, my son spent lots of time hanging out at the sample table. While he did that, I distracted the staff members with questions about how to make it. It is so easy, I wanted to share it with you, as this could be a fun kid’s party activity, especially if you use a variety of toppings.
Ingredients: Tandoori Bread, Pizza Sauce and Mozzarella Cheese
1. Place pizza sauce on the Tandoori bread.
2. Place in the toaster oven for a minute or two. If you are making a bunch of pizzas, you can use the oven.
3. Add mozzarella cheese and return pizza to the toaster or regular oven for less than a minute…or until you see it melting and turning brown. My son actually made this pizza and has decided that he wants a Make Your Own Pizza Party for his birthday.
Why I love this pizza:
1. It is healthier than some of the carry out options.
Tandoori Bread – These are huge slices and have 2 grams of fat per slice. Nothing greasy about this bread. Using bread that has already been baked saves lots of time and effort. You don’t lose quality because this bread is so delicious.
Mozzarella Cheese – In general mozzarella cheese is lower in fat than some others. If you use 1/4 cup of it, there will be 6 grams of fat.
2. It is easy, so you can enlist your kids to help. You can also bribe them to eat their veggies using this dinner as a reward.
There are other ways to make fast and yummy pizza. Use store-bought pizza dough, a jar of pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and your favorite toppings. These may include sliced pepperoni, green peppers, red peppers, mushrooms, onions, bacon, pineapple, olives, ham, and sliced tomatoes.
If you want to save money and you are creating pizzas for a large group, you can make your own pizza dough. There are lots of recipes for this and since the basic ingredients are water and flour, you can make lots of pizza crust for next to no money. It does, however, take some time and effort.
Another money saving option is to make your own pizza sauce. This is pretty easy to do and pretty inexpensive. The key ingredients are tomato sauce, tomato paste and a variety of Italian seasonings.